Thursday, November 28, 2013

Dryer Balls

I stopped using fabric softeners and dryer sheets long before ever cloth diapering.  It was when a student at the school did his science fair project on how flammable these products were.  I figured that putting something on my clothing that was that flammable then in a hot dryer, probably wasn't the best idea.  So we bought some norwex dryer balls at the local farmer's market and used those.  They were amazing!

Then in my genius, I decided that we should just leave them in our home in Alberta, because we could get new ones. (That and my Norwex toilet brush). 

When we moved into our new home my sister in law was having a Norwex party.  I was pumped!  Now was my chance to get these two items that I so loved...only now we had one income, and apparently prices with Norwex had gone up.  So I could no longer afford to buy my toilet brush and cleaner (as it was $60) and abandoned the idea of getting the dryer balls as well. 

What was a girl to do?  Why, shop at Walmart.  Isn't that what we all do when we're on a budget?  (Although I much prefer Giant Tiger...always loved that store).  We bought a pair of dryer balls at Walmart.  For almost 3 months, I used these balls every time I did a load of laundry. This seems to be about a load a night.  They seemed to be working until the one split in half...now it's a fun playdoh toy. 

Shortly after the second one split in half. 

For the last week I've been drying without the use of a dryer ball.  UNTIL NOW!

Tah Dah! 

 
Aren't they pretty?  Ok, perhaps pretty isn't the best term, but here's hoping they are very useful! 
 
My hubby and I sat and watched TV while we wrapped strands of 100% wool into a tight ball.  We found the instructions on Pinterest.  These are not my creation.  Wool dryer balls have actually been around for quite some time.  I remember seeing them while I was cloth diapering my first and I started almost 4 years ago now. 
 
The wool cost us just under $12 for two skeins, including the crazy Ontario HST.  My husband bought it for me at the local V&S.  (Surprisingly, when we looked at Walmart, they had none...)  It took us about an hour to roll them into balls, while we watched some good old "Murdoch Mysteries".  (That's multitasking for you!)
 
The instructions found at handy b's, told us to wash the balls inside of a sock in a hot wash and then dry in a hot dryer a few times.  Our washer unfortunately doesn't have a hot cycle option, so we boiled them on the stove.  The balls felted, so here's hoping it'll all work out.
 
Tonight, during off peak hours, we will try them out with a load of wash.  Here's hoping they stay together.   
 
Next adventure...homemade cleaning products...but that's for another day!
 
Have a great day and thanks for reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment