Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Feeding a family of 3 on less

Last night I made a meal of baked salmon, sweet potatoes, rice and sauteed mushrooms. 

Anytime we go to the Chinese food restaurant, Lu loves the mushrooms, can't get enough of them.  So since attempting to make health a priority and trying to eat more fruits and veggies, I've started making them myself when the mushrooms start to brown. 

What makes this meal less?  Why how much I made. 

The salmon was on sale at the local Foodland for $1 for a fillet.  They were individually wrapped.  Lu doesn't eat a lot so her and I share one. 

I used one sweet potato.  I peeled and chopped and boiled.  Then when finished, I mashed with butter, maple syrup and some walnuts.  YUM!!!

I made up one cup of rice (the 10 kg bag was $8.99 at the local Foodland). 

Lastly the mushrooms, which would have gone bad had I not quartered them and fried them up in butter. 

So in total I think our supper cost us maybe $6.00. 

Tonight, we're feasting on two frozen pizzas, one was $2.88 and the other $3.49.  Yay for sales.  (It's a music lesson night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment