Tuesday, March 24, 2020

I want to start a garden, but where do I begin?

So you are hooked.  

You want to start a garden.  

Maybe you've been gardening your whole life.

Maybe you've been trying to garden, but you don't yet feel successful.  

Maybe you have never gardened before. 

Maybe you have a brown thumb that kills everything you touch.  

If you feel any of the 4 "maybes"  I'd love you here to chat and learn together.  

I will be speaking less to the seasoned gardener, and more to the learning gardener.  But I think we can all agree that at any stage of experience we can all learn more.  And it's fun to learn new things.  

Ok.  Let's get started...

Where do I begin?  

Knowledge is key.  I like to collect books.  😊😊 Yes, I do.  Not ashamed.  I just ordered a new book for my birthday.  I am excited to get it!  (I got this book, in case you are wondering:  https://melissaknorris.com/familygardenplan/)

In addition to looking into books (and I will dig out my books and share some of what I have here in the coming weeks (seeing as I have the time)...there are many online resources that you can look to for more knowledge.  

- Me. ha ha 

- Some of my favourite gardening Youtubers:  Roots and Refuge Farms and Sustainable Stace.  There are more too.  Many of these youtubers have great instructional videos on growing your own food. 

- Books.  This morning for our freeschooling reading time I chose to read this book. I read all about blueberries, because my goal this year is to add some berries to our "food forest" 


Now, get started. 

Next step is to decide what you will plant.  (More to come on this, but for now we'll keep things basic).  Some things need to be started indoors or purchased as seedlings.  And this also changes based on where you live.  I live in Canada.  There is still snow on the ground.  More than I'd like.  It also snowed yesterday...apparently Mother Nature missed the memo that it is Spring time...

So, back to what I was saying, some plants need to be started ahead of time.  These are usually your tropical type plants:  Tomatoes, peppers to name two. 

If you are interested in starting those, you can send me a private message and I can explain that process with you.  Peppers should really be started mid February and tomatoes mid March. 

So if you've missed the starting opportunity, then you can buy some seedlings from your local greenhouse.  They are still considered essential services in Ontario!  (Don't go out to browse though!  Keep your distance friends, let's play safe!)

Seeds:  Most grocery stores sell.  I pulled out some examples from my hoard:  In Canada we have some major seed companies:  OSC (Might be Ontario only), Mackenzie and Burpee.  You also get the Home Hardware Brand (I think it's home gardener), you can even get seeds from the dollar store! 

So pick some seeds that you would like to grow.  I will try to update with what I know of different vegetables in future posts. 

I also have seeds from local seed savers and my own scarlet runners. 


Review:  Step 1:  Start learning.  Step 2:  Get seeds

Step 3:  Decided where you will plant the seeds.  Maybe you want to do an in ground garden.  That is all good.  You would either need to till an area, or you can follow the no til method (create a barrier then build up with soil and compost).  Another option is container gardening or raised beds.  These two options are what I would recommend for a new gardener.  You can grow all kinds of food in containers (any food safe container that you can get your hands on), fill with soil and plant your seeds.  No need to break the earth. If you place your plant in an area that is too shady, just pick up and move it.  

Raised beds are also great options.  Place a barrier down and drop in soil.  Good way to start without having to worry about a million weeds.  

Our first garden was a tilled garden.  There were so many weeds.  I am still weeding, although things are getting better.  

Step 4:  Start planting. 


I know it can all feel overwhelming.  It may feel like so much work.  And it is.  It is a learning curve.  You may experience great success.  You may experience failure.  But you will never experience anything if you don't take the first step to try in the first place.  

When you taste that first leafy green or fruit, grown by you, on your own land, you will be so happy you tried.  

And please do not hesitate to ask me questions.  I want to be here for you along the journey.  

We're all in this together!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment