Tuesday, October 6, 2020

My love/hate relationship with canning

Some people love canning.  

Other people want to love canning. 

Others don't love canning. 

Then there is me. 

Some would assume I love canning, judging by my Facebook photos through time. 

But between you and me, I don't. 

I mean, I do, but I don't.  

It really is a love/hate thing.  

I love that I can transform things that would rot into yummy pickles and enjoy throughout the Winter.  I love that in January we can savour the taste of an Ontario Peach, picked at perfection. 

I hate how time consuming it is.

I don't have a great setup.  I have a flat top stovetop and a canner that is not flat.  So I use a conduction element and it takes FOREVER to come to boil.  

But I am very thankful that we have canning to help preserve our summer harvests all year long.  (Maybe I will try out my new pressure canner some time soon!


I am still learning, like everyone in this life, and despite canning since high school, I learned some new lessons this year.  

I want to share those things with you all my readers:

1.  Cans should not be stored with rings on.  The rings can force a false seal, leaving the seal down when it wasn't sealed correctly.

2.  You should not stack jars on top of seals.  This can cause your seals to be false seals also. 

3.  You should follow safe tested recipes and instructions to a tee.  (Bernardin and ball and National Center for Home Food Preserves are websites that you can search for safe recipes)

Do you love or hate canning?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment