Thursday, June 19, 2014

Helpful hint: Celery and onion

So this may not be any news to you, but for some it may be.

If you're anything like me you go shopping with the best of intentions to eat healthier, which includes more fruits and vegetables.  The problem with that plan is that fruits and veggies are perishable...meaning they go bad.

Celery is a wonderful example.  I buy celery planning to munch on celery sticks when I need a snack instead of cookies and other sweets.  In reality what happens is the celery stalks stay neglected in the fridge until some time in the future when I find them, remembering my original plan.  At this point, they're looking a little rough.  What to do?  What to do?

I hate throwing food out about as much as I dislike shopping for it in the first place...so...I salvage!




I salvage by washing and chopping the celery up into small pieces, then freezing in freezer bags.

I do the same with onions.  Apparently you are not supposed to save and reuse a cut onion (I'm not sure what truth is in it, as my mom always used left over onions and we never got sick). In our house the onion would end up going bad and into the garbage.  So chopping up and freezing is my solution to our left over onion dilemma.


The nicest part about having onions and celery chopped and in the freezer is that it makes making soup and soup stock that much easier!  Not to mention anything else that requires cut celery or onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment