Friday, January 6, 2017

Sweet and sour pork stirfry and baked sweet potatoes

Ok.  So everything we make may not be 100% super duper healthy.  But along with trying to eat healthy and lose weight, we also try to eat real home made meals in this house.  And quick and easy along with good for us real food is key.

So, I hadn't yet gone grocery shopping and needed to be creative with the foods in our freezer.

So I made some sweet and sour pork stirfry.

The ingredients in themselves aren't unhealthy, just a lot of sugar in the sauce.

First, start your rice.

Stirfry Ingredients:

4 small (palm size) pork chops, cubed.
salt and pepper.
olive oil (or whatever cooking oil you have, I had olive oil)

Start by frying the pork, sprinkled with salt and pepper.  Stir often until cooked.  (Sorry I didn't take pictures of the steps...)

Remove pork from pan.

Add:

- pineapple chunks (probably about half a pineapple)
- 1 cup green beans (from my mom's garden)

Fry and stir.
- add 1 cup chicken stock.

Once fruit/veg is cooked, remove from pan.

Mix sauce in pan:
- 3/4 cup sugar (add to chicken stock)
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in half a cup of cold water.

Cook sauce until thickened.

Stir in pork and veg.  Serve over rice.


And the baked sweet potatoes.  Oh so yum!  Wash, dry and poke with a fork.  Bake at 400 degrees (I lined the sheet with aluminum foil) for 30 minutes.  Turn and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes until done.  They were so amazingly sweet.  I didn't even add butter to them, but you could add some buttery goodness with cinnamon.  That would be good.

So there was my first attempt at a new meal this 2017.  

Let me know how it turns out for you.  

(You can substitute the chicken stock for 2/3 cup of water if you do not have chicken stock.  Check out my post on making your own chicken stock too!  I should update with how I make my stock in the crock pot now!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment