Monday, December 23, 2013

The [15] Posts of Christmas: Happy Birthday Jesus!

Yay post #15.  This is my last post before Christmas.  I won't be blogging again until after the new year. 

This post is, in my opinion, the most important one:  Jesus' birthday. 

After all that is why we celebrate Christmas. 

Many years ago now, I made a connection between Jesus' birth and his death.  I discovered at that point that the gifts, the first gifts of Christmas, besides Jesus himself of course, foreshadow Jesus's death. 

Jesus was sent to earth to die, in order to save us.  I often wonder if growing up Jesus knew this all along, or if his mission was revealed to him just before he started his ministry.  Could you imagine? 

Anyways, I apologize in advance, because I would really like to write this post with more support behind it.  (I will make it a mission of mine to re-write this post in the new year). 

The wisemen's gifts:  Gold, frankincense and myrrh. 

Frankincense and Myrrh were used in incense, in ceremonies and also in burials.  As the latter, these two gifts foreshadow the destined end for Jesus. 

Gold:  Gold really seems like an odd gift for a baby born to a carpenter and his wife and in a stable of all places.  But Jesus was more than that.  And the wisemen knew.  They knew he was the promised King.  Gold is a fitting gift for a young king.  Not to mention, Jesus' kingdom, Heaven, is where the streets are paved with gold. 

So the prophets foretold His coming.  And the Wisemen give us hints about how he would leave this world. 

It was all part of the plan:  God's plan. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment