Monday, December 9, 2013

The [15] Posts of Christmas: Winter Driving

I'm sorry I'm behind in my 15 posts of Christmas.  I am going to try to catch up today.  So they'll probably be shorter. 

In Alberta, you're pretty much guaranteed that once the snow starts to fall, it's there to stay.  Not so much here in Ontario. 

We got our first snowfall around November 23.  Actually we had our first snowfall back in October but it didn't even last the day.  By the end of November I was welcoming the snow, as it was getting closer to December.  Welcoming the snow, not so much the driving. 

The problem with roads in Winter here, is that the temperature doesn't always stay below freezing.  Yes this does mean that the snow often times melts (as it almost did completely this week when the temperatures rose to 10 degrees), but it also means that there is a potential for freezing rain. 

Those two words should be added to a list of swear words.  Freezing rain is the worst!  I can handle snow, but when everything is covered in ice, that is a different story.

And what do you know, the same day they call for freezing rain, I have to drive to the "city" for an ultrasound.  Fun eh? 

Anyways, long story short, the freezing rain didn't come until over night, so luckily I didn't have to drive in it.  The following day the temperature rose and most of the snow melted. 

Now today we're supposed to get 5 cm of snow, and it appears that traffic is moving slower than usual in front of my house. 

Drive safely on those roads people!  It is now Winter (even if the calendar doesn't agree).  Slow down and get rid of those distractions so that you can get to all of your Christmas destinations safely this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment