Friday, December 20, 2013

The [15] Posts of Christmas: The hustle and bustle

Yesterday I went shopping with my mom and daughter.  I wasn't going for Christmas presents, but instead for groceries.  If I was thinking of Christmas shopping I would have stayed home!

I finished my Christmas shopping last week.  I had hoped to have it all finished before December even arrived, but unfortunately that didn't happen.  (I did end up buying one more thing for Lu...it was the thing I really wanted to get for her, but when I searched online appeared to only be available in the US...but I found it!  So she will be getting spoiled this year!)

When I went shopping last week the stores and malls were nuts.  Yesterday was no exception.  There were people everywhere!  And you get all the kinds too!  The stressed out ones who complain about the long waits in line ups.  The super cheerful ones that just love the hustle and bustle.

If I was to label myself one yesterday, I was probably more of a grumpy shopper because I just so wanted to be home again! 

But I'm not going to bore you with a post about grumpy and stressed out Christmas shoppers.  Instead I'm going to share about a couple of the cheerful ones! 

Last week, despite the long line ups and crazy number of people in the stores, there were two men that really stood out for me. 

The first was a man in Home Depot.  He wore a Santa hat, had his own white beard, and was dressed the part in a nice red sweater vest.  I tapped Lu's shoulder when I saw him and directed her attention to him.  She smiled and uttered ever so quietly "Hi Santa". He was so kind.  He replied with hello and then got down to talk to her.  (The tricky part about Santa after Sinterklaas day is that most of Santa's special helpers - because, let's face it, we all know the store ones aren't the real thing.  This is Santa's busiest time of the year!, the trickiest part is when those store Santa's ask, "And what would you like for Christmas")  The Home Depot Santa did the regular Santa thing and asked Lu what she wanted for Christmas.  She responded that he already came and gave her glass slippers and she thanked him.  This wonderful man then wished Lu a Merry Christmas and gave her a candy cane from her pocket. 

She was literally all smiles!

The second was a man in Walmart.  Walmart is the best place to look if you are searching for the various breeds of Christmas shoppers.  They are all there!  This man was great!  He didn't say anything to us.  He was just waiting for his companion to finish shopping.  But what made him great were the sleighbells that he had on his jacket.  Every time this man would take a step, he would jingle.  And it seems like something so little, but when things are busy and time consuming like Christmas shopping in December is, those little jingle bells are enough to remind you about the happy things of Christmas. 

Now, to make Christmas shopping this late in the game bearable and fun, you could google search for one of those lists, you know the ones I'm talking about.  The ones where you make funny noises under a clothing rack or whatever.  Or you too, could attach some sleigh bells to your jacket.  Or better yet, carry candy canes in your pocket.  Whatever you do, I hope that you will approach the rest of your Christmas shopping with positivity and a wonderful giving spirit!  Trust me, it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable for those around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment