Friday, December 20, 2013

The [15] Posts of Christmas: Music

My favourite!  Of course it would be, as I am a musician! 

This year, I haven't been playing though.  :(  It is very sad. 

Christmas tends to be the busiest season for musicians. 

I was fortunate to be able to attend my neice's Christmas concert this week.  It was nice to be able to hear some band music again.  (Much more fun to play it though ;))

So what do you have at Christmas time. 

Carolling - What better way to spread Christmas cheer, than going door to door and singing about Jesus' birth or the happiness of the Season?  I have yet to see carollers at my door.  I'd love to have some knock on my door and sing!  I would love to be part of the singing too.  I might just have to do this! 

Concerts - I wanted to attend the concerts around the area, but haven't been able to get out yet.  I did go to my neice's band concert and quite enjoyed that.  I was very sad that the orchestra here does not do a Christmas concert.  What is with that?

Pageants - We got to see our little Lu in the Christmas pageant at church.  It was great!  I love seeing my little girl up there.  There are so many cute Christmas pageants going on.  Check out your local churches. 

Then there are the recordings.  We've been listening to these since after Remembrance Day.  CBC music has a live radio station online that plays all kinds of Christmas music.  Even Lu sings along.  It's tradition for us to listen to the Kenny and Dolly Christmas album while decorating the tree, and also while opening our gifts.  This tradition came from my hubby's late aunt.  She loved Kenny and Dolly and they would always listen to that album as a family.  We have decided to carry on this tradition with our little family.  (I love traditions!)

I'm sorry there wasn't really much more point to this post.  I love music and it's difficult to focus when I think about it! 

I will leave with some of my favourites and why:

- Oh Holy Night - My favourite Sacred song.  I love the lyrical lines, and it's a challenge to perform due to the range.  Not really a fan of Martina McBride's version as she only repeats the first verse over again, and there are multiple verses.  Charlotte Church had a beautiful version of this one!

- What child is this? (Greensleeves) - There is just something about it, maybe it's the compound timing.  I love it!

- Jingle bells (in previous years it was known as Jingle Balls in our house :)) This made the list because of little Lu.  It is Santa's favourite song after all!

- Santa Baby and Baby it's Cold Outside - Ok, so I have a thing for the songs that are a little on the naughty list...helps that they tend to be more on the jazzy side too. 

- Mary Did you Know?  Great song, great lyrics.

- The Hallelujah song by Clovertone - find it on Youtube!  It's great!

- Mary's Boy Child - new on this list this year.  Lu loves it, so I love it!

Oh I'm sure I could just go on and on! 

Enjoy some good Christmas music today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment